Tuesday May 17, 2005
Stolen from mxdi (or: WILL I EVER ESCAPE MEMES?!)
1) Total number of books owned?
This I am not sure of. I believe a safe rough estimate would be 500. (Currently, anyway. Counting all the books I've ever owned, probably 900. I got rid of a lot of books when I was younger.)
2) The last book I bought?
3) The last book I read?
Cover to cover, Freakonomics. I read 3/4 of Linux Unwired this morning over a biscotti and Earl Grey, and the remaining 1/4 won't mean anything to me until I've got a cell plan or something with IR connections.)
4) Five books that mean a lot to me:
- Frogs Into Princes
- The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
- Learning Perl, 2nd Ed.
- Shaving The Inside Of Your Skull
If you know these books, their significance is probably easy to determine. Here's another few for good measure:
- Delivered From Distraction and You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy? for being useful guides to a topic I wasn't familiar with but needed to become familiar with quickly.
- Atlas Shrugged for making me wonder about evaluating people based on merits like integrity and ability.
- Chocolate Heaven for being a cookbook about something I liked enough to try to make recipes from.
- Stranger In A Strange Land, The Martian Chronicles, and Neuromancer, for being simply beautiful pieces of work. Stranger gets another medal, too -- I did not understand why people laugh until I read the reason in Stranger. It's always held true so far.
Tuesday May 03, 2005
Still getting treatment; bumped up visits to my therapist to twice a week.
I haven't hacked anything together in quite a while, and it hurts. I have things I want to make; I have things I need to do.
I want to create something like the ( Google Maps + Craigslist ) project, only ( Google Maps + Monster ), so that you can figure out how far away jobs will be in terms of physical distance.
Hopefully a little later this week or possibly next week I can get my project "TD" under way.
Wednesday March 30, 2005
I must learn to be more tolerant of systems being imperfect; I am an imperfect system myself.
Saturday March 26, 2005
Step right up
Friday March 25, 2005
The results of the extensive testing I took a few weeks ago have been discussed with me; among other things, it looks like they're positive I have ADHD.
I picked up some books on the subject; unsurprisingly, I'm finding it hard to read them.
Tuesday March 22, 2005
Began working with CVS today. Impressed by the packrat mentality. Need to learn a wider swath of commands.
Thursday March 10, 2005
I have been laid off.
In a way, this couldn't have happened at a better time -- my insurance will just cover the time period I'm having some more doctor visits during, and if I can get my attention issues a little more under control, maybe I can either go back to school or get myself an even better job.
Wednesday March 09, 2005
Monday March 07, 2005
Try, Try Again
Going to work on my game-theory matrix solver again. Need to work on solving game-theory matrices.
Planning to do this during laundry; much later tonight, may begin module in earnest if practice earlier went well.
Tuesday February 15, 2005
Love is a new computer desk and a DVD+RW.