I've long been a member of the french Parti Socialiste (the main left-wing party) but only recently did I find out that they had a purely virtual section which also serves as a think tank for computer and internet related ideas.
I must say that so far I've been rather impressed with the quality of the discussion there, and with the impact of their ideas on the rest of the Parti Socialiste. As an example, three of their ideas just made it to the PS's program for next year's election (since the last administration a political program has become something ~80% of which is followed by action, which has been a nice improvement on prior unheld promises, irrespective of party. Of course, we've still got to work on the remaining 20%).
The first idea is the ban of all software patents. That is incredibly good news as the Europe, under US pressure, has been seriously considering accepting them. The second one is to sponsor a computer and internet connection for all households under a certain revenue level that have a child in secondary school (15-18 years old) in order to reduce the digital divide and to gradually replace the Minitel (the Minitel is some sort of internet with dedicated terminals that has existed in France since the 80s. The terminals themselves were originally given away for free, while the connection was paid for. It was tremedously succesful, with all sorts of e-commerce, chat, porn, bank, administration, etc. "sites"). The third one is to pass a law favouring Open Source in the administration to cut down costs, increase security, and steer clear of backdoors. It's already been dubbed "La Loi Linux" (The Linux Law) by the press.
As you an guess, I am even more eager than before to see the PS win this year's elections (one for presidency, the other for parliament; in other words the two most important elections in France). Defeat would set us back a few years (on other subjects as well, notably justice and professional education).
And the funniest thing (for me): I just found out that one of the guys that's part of this section is the one that created the CMS for the Parti Socialiste
PS: GMTA, Great Minds Think Alike