o conf make_install_make_command 'sudo make'
the cpan shell will run everything as you, then run 'sudo make install' for the last step, just like you would if installing by hand! Very cool.
If you've been doing the 'sudo cpan' thing, you'll need to clean up your
Both brian and I were scheduled to do the first talk of YAPC on Conferences for Beginners. Unfortunately, due to some travel problems, brian wasn't back to his home city of Chicago in time.
So on a moments notice, the Perl hackers took the stage and got things started. Then, using a borrowed video camera at the conference hall, Randal and I got a video iChat going. Randal had his display on the big screen and his audio going through the PA, so I was able to give the presentation from home.
Not quite the same as being there, but an excellent way to solve the problem.
I guess no one told the babies what the plan was.
So I did some rushing around to find someone to watch my son and sped down to the hospital. And around 5:30 PM last evening, Cameron (4 lbs. 6 oz.), Liam (4 lbs. 11 oz.), and Grace (5 lbs. 1 oz.) made their entrance.
The babies are in the NICU for now for observation, but all are breathing normally and they should be moved to the regular newborn nursery today or tomorrow. Everyone is doing well and mom is resting comfortably (somewhat).
We went on a tour of the NICU. It's a first-class facility, recently completely renovated. It just looks like you'd want a special care unit to look--very clean, very high-tech--and all of the staff are highly-qualified.
We're hoping the babies will be big enough and not have any problems so they won't have to go there, but it's nice to know they are there if we need them.
I should also mention that my son Aiden has been a absolute trooper through all of this. He's been shuttled around from me to one grandparent to another, and has been without his mom for almost two weeks now, and he's barely batted an eyelash.
How busy is it here at the hospital? Well, my wife's floor is completely full now and we can hear the new baby music every couple of hours (they play a lullaby over the PA system when a new baby is delivered). Apparently Labor and Delivery was so busy last night that they were turning people away. I'm sure they were doing some triage and not sending away people with babies emerging, but that's still pretty busy.
We're also waiting for a tour of the neonatal ICU. But the way things are going, the babies might be big enough that they won't even need to go there.
After talking with my wife this morning, Dr. Lele agreed to schedule the C-section for Friday, assuming my wife can hold out that long. Having a date makes it easier since my wife can somewhat prepare herself for what's coming.
So now we wait for Friday morning, and in the meantime we just need to nail down the names.
Apparently, for many women, the procardia doesn't work to stop labor after the first few days. So the doctor wanted to take her off for a while and see if it was doing anything.
Turns out it was. Her contractions started becoming more regular and much closer together and her blood pressure started going up again.
So we talked to the resident and they agreed to put her back on it. Things settled down again in the evening and in the morning, the doctor agreed to keep her on it.
Tomorrow, the rotation will put a new doctor on. We're hoping it's the doctor we were seeing through the office for the entire pregnancy. It's a rotation of 3 high-risk doctors, so we've been seeing one of her partners.
Monday morning we drove in to the Labor and Delivery department at Women and Children's Hospital here in Buffalo. Triplets are considered high-risk, so this is the hospital our doctor wants us to work with.
Although my wife had been having contractions, there were no other signs of labor and that isn't what made us decide to come in. She woke up feeling terrible and proceeded to get sick and get a bloody nose. Since the bloody nose can be a sign of high blood pressure, we decided to make the trip.
After a full day of tests and monitoring, they decided to admit her to the hospital for observation. They also started taking steps to help the babies along if they did have to deliver. They were at 32 weeks and a few days on Monday. That's average for triplets, but still earlier than we wanted to deliver.
So they started with some Procardia (called Nifedipine in that page) to help control the contractions and administered a steroid to help the babies' lungs develop faster. The Procardia took the edge off the contractions and spread them out, so true labor seemed less imminent.
She has since been moved up to the high-risk mother floor to a nice quiet room where she can rest. She can order any sort of food she wants and as much as she wants. So she's now receiving excellent care while we wait. Tomorrow is 33 weeks, and our hope is to make it until next Friday, which would be 34 weeks. At 34 weeks, all sorts of statistics improve dramatically in the babies' favor, especially the amount of time they have to stay in the hospital.
So here I sit hooked up through my modem to the hospital room phone while my wife sleeps.