Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • by hfb (74) on 2001.11.20 23:18 (#1934) Homepage Journal

    It's a punchdown block, also called a 110 patch panel. It's used to connect a group of cables from a wiring closet to the wall socket or, like in my house which is wired, from the cable modem patch panel to each of the wall jacks. Cat5 cable [ twisted pair is another name for it ] has 4 pairs of wires going through it in 4 paired colours.

    • blue and blue white
    • green and green white
    • orange and orange white
    • brown and brown white

    If you look at an RJ45 connector that's made of clear plastic you'll be able to see the colours and, depending on the type of cable patch or x-over, the arrangement differs.

    Network cabling is a snap once you get the hang of it.

    • Ah HA! So that's what we made...she had us constructing foot-long "patch cables", and I missed the explanation of where they connected to it.

      On the other hand, I had real trouble with the orange and green (due to my color deficiency). I still have that patch cable. :)

      Thanks for the clarification :)


      You are what you think.