Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • good luck! some quick tips from one who's done that kind of thing, twice ;) --

    1. ensure you have plenty of cash in your UK ATM bank account, and that the card supports the Cirrus or STAR networks, so you can withdraw it when needed. also set up online banking.

    2. bring plenty of documentation of good credit -- UK bills, bank statements, etc. dunno about Canada, but not having a US credit rating is a big problem in the US; and the US credit rating bureaux don't track non-US citizens, which == no credit
    • 1. Check. I'll hopefully still be paid into the same account as I am now.

      2. Check-ish. We're trying to sort that out now before we go.

      3. We have forms P85 from The Revenue to fill in. Hopefully that will be enough - it would be a disaster for us to pay taxes at both ends. We'll certainly be doing our damnedest to make sure this doesn't happen.
      • yeah, I don't *think* you'd wind up paying taxes at both ends -- but you may have to file a return saying essentially "I had no income in the UK this year".
        • I actually got a nice letter from The Revenue just this week saying "We don't want you to file tax returns any more". Second piece of good news I got from them this month (the other was a refund!).

          I'm hoping that this means I won't have to file anything :-)