Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • Yeah, I did it.

    At least all the bad bits (in the embedded stuff released with Netsaint 6.x Nag 1 - 3.x.

    A local .Au guy solved a problem (of wasting a copy after a fork) for Perl plugins. I think he did a good thing.

    Unfortunately, I couldn't (and still can't) see how to preserve the existing REPL semantics (ie schedule a plugin, fork, exec the plugin and return whatever exec() returns to Nagios) and not re-eval the Perl plugin each time its scheduled.

    Also, I was too stupid to think that with no adequat

    • I'm sorry, you did what now? You wrote the logic that sucks plug-in code into Nagios? I'm confused.

      REPL means something other than "schedule a plugin, fork, exec the plugin, ..."... REPL means read, eval, parse, loop. That's the style of environment provided by old BASIC interpreters that accepted a command, ran it, and printed the output. Forth and a number of other systems are famous for it, and Python does that too (as a default when run without other arguments).

      Did I say that many people should shut up? It's quite possible (not being sarcastic) but I don't remember saying that in this context.

      Okay, I'm taking that bold "much" as sarcastic. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

      Everyone has Asperger's. Technology seems to induce it and we're all surrounded by technology.

      I don't remember what I wrote about Nagios and I don't care to go look, but I think it was along the lines of "I had trouble with it and couldn't figure one thing out and couldn't find good diagnostics".

      The unavoidable situation is that 90% of the people who use your software have no ability to improve it; of the remaining 10%, 90% of those have no personal or professional interest or motivation; and of those remaining 10%, 90% don't have the time. I have neither the time nor the interest or motivation. That's not a reflection on Nagios. That doesn't mean that it's not worthy of soemone's time and attention. I'm simply busy with other things. But that's not going to stop me from remarking on my experiences with it, especially when talking about it in the context of what I've been doing -- and trying to do -- lately.

      Talk is cheap and easy. Treat it as such.

      Part of the reason for my writing that was re-affirming to myself that, despite my struggles, I'm working on marketable technologies. Nagios is often requested. Commercial or free, people who can master the hard parts of desired technologies have something to offer.

      You said you were advised against the approach taken. Treating plugins as ordinary programs muddles the semantics. The mechanism for reloading them is ill defined. What they are and aren't allowed to do is ill defined. Etc. You're aware of this. Don't be surprised if people happen to notice it ;)