Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • by pudge (1) on 2005.12.07 0:03 (#45021) Homepage Journal
    I wrote some OAI (Open Archives Initiative) code for Slashdot, for a certain search site to use to get data from us. OAI is XML, and part of the spec is to pass a "resumption token" for when the results list is incomplete (as tends to happen, since you don't want to put all the Slashdot data in one result list).

    So for simplicity, I used the query string made to make the request as the resumption token, with the counter incremented. This meant encoding & as &, of course. The search site people thought the bug was mine, but it was in their code. I convinced them of this, thankfully, because that was easier than changing my code. But I shouldn't have used & in the resumption token (I have to use it in the query string, as per the OAI spec, but the spec allows the token to be anything).