Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • Part of the trouble is the lack of support. I always use URI.pm to generate URLs with query strings correctly, but it insists on producing ampersands. I know, I should submit a patch.

    The other part of the problem is the fact that our tools are fundamentally broken and insecure [happygiraffe.net].

    -Dom

    • There's already a patch for URI, but the bug its attached was submitted prior to the W3C XHTML recommendation, and has a low priority. I submitted a meta bug. Additional lobbying might help, though.
    • I always use URI.pm to generate URLs with query strings correctly, but it insists on producing ampersands. I know, I should submit a patch.

      I don't think that's a URI.pm bug, since escaping the query string is only relevant when it's being used as an attribute value. I'd say it's a bug in whatever is generating the HTML code.

      (Unless you mean the patch changes it to emit semi-colons instead of ampersands, in which case, I apologize, because you're correct.)

      --
      (darren)
      • Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. I reckon that there should be a global variable in URI::_query or something to set which one you would prefer. I haven't looked at the relevant bug yet to see if that's how it's done.

        -Dom

  • Funny, I complained about that just recently [philringnalda.com] – PHP still isn’t configured to accept semicolonised query strings by default. It’s by far the biggest offender.

    Maybe I should take a look at what the Rails and Django folk are doing and complain at them too.

    Perl stuff is mostly good about this.

  • I wrote some OAI (Open Archives Initiative) code for Slashdot, for a certain search site to use to get data from us. OAI is XML, and part of the spec is to pass a "resumption token" for when the results list is incomplete (as tends to happen, since you don't want to put all the Slashdot data in one result list).

    So for simplicity, I used the query string made to make the request as the resumption token, with the counter incremented. This meant encoding & as &, of course. The search site people tho