Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • On a very short-lived project that I was assigned to, my primary responsibility was to port a particular astrodynamics engine to Java from C. The program had previously been ported to C from Fortran, and to Fortran from some ungodly, unknown language for an old HP paper-tape computer. I was the first actual programmer to look at said program, and all the previous ports were exactly like you described: literal translations from one language to the next.

    Function parameters were a through z. All local var

    • Indeed... It's funny how we all have passed through that.And that's funny how non-programmers choose their variables' names. This algorithm was gotten from an electrical circuits book and it's Portuguese title translates to "Electrical Circuits Course". Got it? No? They are teaching future engineers to write their programs in Basic and name their variables after A1, A2, A3, ..., Z7, Z8, Z9.

      It has just made me curious about what happens after Z9... Maybe AA1? ;-)

      The entry in my diary is like yours: varia
      --
      -- Godoy.
  • is a fantastic story!
  • That was a fun read. Um, thanks. Now I don't feel so bad about everyday hell.
    --
    The great thing about multitasking is that several things can go wrong at once.
  • happen several years ago. I wanted to create http://colorlab.wickline.org/ [wickline.org] and found a site that showed colorblind versions of the websafe colors and referenced HCIRN as the source. I asked them for their code, which they were kind enough to provide.

    The code was provided in two forms: Java that didn't work, and a spreadsheet that did work. Neither form was clear to read. Since the spreadsheet worked, I started off with a literal translation of that document. Instead of your Label200 things, I had oodles of