Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • It would look pretty much the same, and so the language would need no changes. In fact all the .pm files in my CVS repository which are over 1000 lines (and that includes documentation) are either someone elses code that I bundle with mine for compatibility (cos the new release of DBM::Deep isn't portable enough for my tastes) or are mostly __DATA__ noise. The biggest objecty file that's all my own work is 381 lines including doco and is actually three classes.

    But not all my code is OO, so it isn't all in classes. Until recently, I maintained a sprawling 8000 line program all in one file. OK, that includes documentation, but at a guess it's 5000 lines of code. While I did make a few changes during my time with the Maintenance Hat (added a couple of little bits of functionality, fixed some bugs) I was always itching to refactor it but never got the time. Part of the reason I didn't is because the test suite was nowhere near comprehensive enough.

    The lack of good tests, incidentally, doesn't mean that the code is broken. It works really well and I don't think there are any outstanding bugs at all. Nor does it make it hard to find bugs when they're reported. But it does make refactoring hard and made certain types of changes hard to do.