Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • Hey, I know, instead of whining in a journal entry you could send me a useful bug report. That might be a little less satisfying, but it would of course have the effect of leading to a fix.

    I can't reproduce whatever bug you think you've found. I did this:


    print DateTime->new(day=>6,month=>11,year=>2003)->datetime;


    and it works fine.
    • Hey, you know, instead of berating me, why not check your rt.cpan.org entry. Okay I now know WHY it fails, but at least I took the time write a test case to show why I thought it was wrong.

      I have no idea why a month of 11 is failing but it is. I was testing it on Windows so it may be some perculiarity there. I will look more in depth tomorrow.

      Whining is for someone who can't be arsed to try and help fix things. You have me mistaken for someone else. If you would like me to take the time in future to try

      • And I responded to your original bug report as soon as I saw it. From the bug report, I thought you were simply saying that the _new_ delta_days method in 0.18 didn't work as expected, as opposed to saying that the duration object returned by subtraction now had different values.

        A month of 11 being a problem mystifies me, since it works fine for me. I'm not sure why it'd be a problem on Windows. But you certainly didn't mention that in the RT report, or I would have responded to it.

        As to the infinite t
        • I can appreciate there may have been discussion of the datetime list, and had I been subscribed I would certainly have pointed out the fact, that despite it being not entriely accurate, others may rely on the fact that it returned a value that represented the total number of days as opposed to a difference between the month days. Improving the function is one thing, to change it's reason for existing is another.

          The infinite issue is not something I've had time to look into. My first assumption was that something in ActivePerl optimised infinity minus infinity to zero, rather than the '1.#QNAN' that is expected by the tests.

          I don't know why I'm getting the message "The 'month' parameter to DateTime::new did not pass the 'is bet ween 1 and 12' callback" but I am. It may be there is some other calculation that is throwing if off, but the original object creation was for 6th November 2003. I wasn't implying anything regarding your intelligence, I was expressing my frustration that my expectations are broken. I will try and pin the problem down later when I have time. I didn't post a bug report for that because I haven't had time to write a test case. Admittedly I shouldn't have added it to my journal in the heat of the moment, especially following another CPAN test report telling me my code failed.

          My original journal was mainly me letting off steam for something I felt extremely frustrated about. My apologies if you felt it was a personal attack. The decision has been made and I have to deal with it. I just wonder whether any accounting or similar code writers are not going to experience the same issues.