Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • I know you're doing your own thing, that's cool, but maybe it'd be simpler as a google map app? (If possible.) I guess the problem would be updating the data.

    What you're doing reminded me incidentally of using Processing []. It's possible to export as either a Java app or as an applet for a browser. (The main problems for me with Processing are: 1) it's Java-based, 2) the IDE seems buggy in Linux (at least I had problems sketches, as it would freeze the IDE).)

    • Yeah, this should have been a Google Maps app. I looked at the API briefly but felt bogged down. Also, I don't have GPRS/EDGE any more, so I wanted something that worked off-line with the on-line version being an after thought. I have played with Processing a bit. Where I got stuck with it was CPU usage and the Flash-like fps thing, where it tries to draw so many frames per second regardless of whether anything has changed on the screen. It had some threads that were very CPU hungry that I really didn't know what were doing. I was trying to re-build the MUD GUI in that. I should have stuck to the raw Java.

      But this is kind of an off-shoot of work, too. I'm trying to find and learn some Perl graphical toolkit that doesn't suck donkey dong. SDL is like a chose your own adventure where every pathway leads to coredump and I've wasted too much time navigating its various corridors already. There's Ogre, a wrapper around the open source ogre engine, and PDL::Graphics::X, which lets you use raw PDL arrays as graphic buffers. I need to refresh my memory, but slices in SDL should work fine as a blitter operation. I need to figure out if there's something that would do alpha masking and blending.

      I have to admit that I've been pondering how to go about doing a Processing-like thing in Perl. There are quite a few things like Processing but they all seem to suffer from the wrong amounts of complexity in the wrong places, including too little complexity where there should be more. They kind of suffer from the MVC framework problem, where it's really easy to get something up, but really hard to finish it, until you've learned your way around it well.

      Wow, I didn't think it was possible, but they made suck even more. I'm afraid this might be my last post here...