use Perl Log In
Perl Foundation looking for a Grant Committee chai
posted by KM on 2007.08.21 18:13
Andy Lester writes "After a running the Perl Foundation Grant Committee for almost two years, Ovid has decided he needs to step down. Naturally, this means we need someone to step into this role and we're hoping to get new people into the Perl Foundation.
Running the Grant Committee is a very important volunteer position with specific responsibilities. These include:
- Every three months, putting out a call for grant proposals and organizing votes on them.
- Finding and retaining grant managers to oversee grants which are awarded.
- Keep abreast of important trends in the Perl community.
- Work the Grant and Steering committee to help shape Perl Foundation policy.
- Keep the news.perlfoundation.org blog updated with regular events happening with the grant committee.
- A good understanding of the needs of the Perl community.
- Thick skin ("why did you morons approve X?", "You aren't funding enough grants!", "You are funding too many grants", etc.)
- Patience. Sometimes the wheels turn slowly.
- Discretion (never publicly discuss rejected grants. Respect privacy)
- Tact (you have to let rejected grantees down gently while telling them why their grant was rejected)
If you're looking for a way to make an impact in the Perl community, and help the Perl Foundation drive Perl development, the Grant Committee chair position may be for you. If you're interested, email Richard Dice at rdice at perlfoundation.org. We hope to hear from you soon."