Back near the beginning of last month I added some support for rendering text using the Freetype2 library, including support for rotation and other transformations. Since Freetype2 supports Type1, TrueType and several other font types, once you have this you don't really need the other font libraries, at least that's the idea.
Unfortunately my original implementation was a bit too simple - when writing to a channel the bitmap for one glyph could overwrite the previous glyph, especially for rotated text.
I've been a little busy over the last few weeks, so I haven't been able to get much done on fixing this, though I made the first steps today.
I did manage to add some simple tags to support getting and setting the spatial resolution of an image. This is currently only used for PNG files, but will eventually be implemented for other image types. I want to fix the Freetype 2 problems first .