Over Christmas I made most of Imager's API, such as it is, available to external modules.
This has 2 purposes:
I added a hook for Inline::C as well, which makes the API very easy to use, assuming C doesn't scare you too much.
Of course, none of this is released yet, but what's there hangs together.
Currently some of the API isn't exposed - file access, because it's not an image manipulation function, and fonts, because the C level font API is fairly chaotic.
Imager's release cycle has tended to be pretty long, but hopefully I'll get this out in the next few weeks.
Right now I'm going through the file handlers and checking they report errors correctly - in some cases the C level handlers do, but the perl level code is discarding the error <sigh>