tinman spent a few years mucking around industry before going back to school for a Masters. Currently not enjoying the weather in North England..
He wrote Perl that looked suspiciously like C code in 1998, while working as an intern, and has been trying to cure that bad habit ever since.
Mandrake 9.2 it was.. I had some weirdness with the second network card on the machine, but other than that, slick install. It detected things properly and made all the correct noises, so that was pretty much ok..
The bigger headache, however, was exporting XWindows across the firewall. I knew how to setup XForwarding over SSH(btw, props to Cygwin developers, the XFree implementation is now pretty stable, unlike the last time I tried), so I did that.. but I dont get the shiny KDE desktop
heard nice things about VNC (but those ports are blocked too, and I am wary of setting up another portforward right now..)
Reading up about XML catalogs now..hadnt seen them before.. thanks to all who suggested solutions to my nasty little entity problems, I tried using HTML::Parser, and that worked. Catalogs seem to be the XML-ish way of doing the same thing, I think.