Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

statico (5018)

statico
  ian.langworthNO@SPAMgmail.com
http://langworth.com/
AOL IM: eisforian (Add Buddy, Send Message)

PAUSE-ID: IAN [cpan.org]

Co-author of Perl Testing: A Developer's Notebook [oreilly.com]

Journal of statico (5018)

Thursday March 31, 2005
07:57 PM

my experiment

[ #23960 ]

I'm taking a class on cognition. I have to create, perform and document a formal Psych experiment.

Last night I finished my little testing program (CGI::App, SQLite, Class::DBI, Template Toolkit) and today I tested 14 participants. Without going into too much detail, I essentially tested subjects to see if, when presented with a series of questions, they would produce the expected output after being given a certain stimulus. (Hehe, no, this was a completely visual and audible exercise.)

My test groups appeared as follows:

+-----------------------------------------+
|           | Order 1 | Order 2 | Control |
|-----------+---------+---------+---------|
| Variant 1 | A       | B       | C       |
|-----------+---------+---------+---------|
| Variant 2 | D       | E       | F       |
+-----------------------------------------+

Ideally, groups A, B, D and E would correlate and the control groups would be all over the place. Turns out that wasn't the case: (initials have been changed)

List        Subject     Expected    Total
----------  ----------  ----------  ----------
A           JR          2           9
A           QW          6           9
A           TY          4           9
B           ER          2           9
B           AS          6           9
C           VB          6           9
C           JK          5           9
D           GH          5           9
D           NM          5           9
E           IO          5           9
E           UI          5           9
F           OP          5           7
F           XC          4           9
F           AZ          7           9       

...which boils down to:

List        PercentExpected
----------  ---------------
A           44.4
B           44.4
C           61.1
D           55.6
E           55.6
F           64.0         

Looking back, I've got a pile of ways I could improve the experiment -- there are a few things that could have been done to make the results more accurate. However, I have to do my best with only the time I can allocate for this class.

Ugh. At least I entertained my subjects with colorful stock photography from sites listed on Blue Vertigo.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.