I've been somewhat quiet since my last update. A weekend of nice weather filled my schedule with yard work. That doesn't mean things have been at a complete shutdown.
Shortly after completing building Parrot with Intel C++, I tried my first
make -j. It wasn't the complete failure I expected, but Parrot didn't build either. Obviously, there's a dependency problem somewhere. I'm also realizing that the Parrot makefile is a lot less structured than Perl's and things that normally build after miniparrot seem to be built before the ops files are converted to C. Its time to throw Parrot on a computer with many more CPUs to see how much damage I can do.
Borland C++ has been a bit more frustrating. Hoping to see that my patches have helped, instead Borland C++ is unable to make it past compiling the ops files. Using dmake has been as much of a failure, but it seemed to produce some useful error messages now, so there is still hope.
Sun Studio on Linux is somewhat on hold for me while I wait to see when the release of Sun Studio 12 happens. I'm hoping some bugs I see go away with the release, similarly to the problems I disovered in the Sun Studio 12 beta by trying to compile a threaded Perl.
On other fronts, I'm going to try to upgrade my OpenBSD VM to 4.1 sometime this week. I've found new problems with Perl with every OpenBSD release, so I'm interested in seeing how Parrot fares.