Text::Metaphone was my first real module. I wrote it in 1997, a translation of some really awful and buggy C code from a book into slightly less buggy and awful C code. It got me my first real job, they were impressed at the little bit of C and XS I could do. Because I don't really know XS its had nasty memory leak.
Tonight, after the hackathon, I decided to look into updating my oldest modules. Text::Metaphone was at the top of the list with that damned memory leak. I threw out a pile of h2xs generated junk, detabified and converted the tests to Test::More. Then with all that old garbage out of the way I quickly realized that a string allocated in the C code wasn't getting free'd and plugged the leak. I also eliminated an unnecessary Perl function wrapper around the XS speeding things up by about 2 times.
So here we are, 8 years after the last release, with Text::Metaphone 2.0.