I've finally gotten my mail/spam chain back together after losing my hard drive. Bits and pieces of things have been uploaded to various temp directories in the past and I've recovered the most critical portions. What held me up is the old version of my filter was using PPerl. The filter used open2() to call spamc and with the persistent instances of the filter spamc was never reaped and my process stack filled with zombie spamc's to the point where I couldn't fork anymore. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I made sure to close all handles, but I just switched off PPerl and things are churning away.
I probably dropped some mail in the process of putting things back together so if you didn't hear from me resend.
And now the worst part, retraining my spam filters. Ugg.