Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

rjbs (4671)

rjbs
  (email not shown publicly)
http://rjbs.manxome.org/
AOL IM: RicardoJBSignes (Add Buddy, Send Message)
Yahoo! ID: RicardoSignes (Add User, Send Message)

I'm a Perl coder living in Bethlehem, PA and working Philadelphia. I'm a philosopher and theologan by training, but I was shocked to learn upon my graduation that these skills don't have many associated careers. Now I write code.

Journal of rjbs (4671)

Sunday May 11, 2008
09:58 PM

rubric now running under fastcgi

[ #36387 ]

In case anyone has been thinking, "Gosh, I haven't seen anything from rjbs lately," the reason is ridiculous. It's not that I've been busy (but I have) or lazy (but I am). It's that I've been stupid.

When I relocated some of my hosted services to Linode (who, by the way, are awesome), I decided that running Rubric as a CGI script was insane. It's always been slow and inefficient, and I knew I could make it much, much faster by making the process persistent. On my previous host, where TIMS also ran, I saw how much faster Rubric could be under mod_perl, but I had some minor problems and wasn't interested in futzing with Apache, which I vaguely dislike.

On my new host, I switched everything to lighttpd, and I figured I'd use FastCGI. I thought this would be trivial, but the state of the art for moving CGI things to FastCGI seemed to be lousy. Someone finally pointed me at Stevan Little's fantastic FCGI::Engine. It did exactly what I wanted, making Rubric work with no code changes at all... or so I thought.

First, query parameters stopped changing. The first query to hit the daemon would have its QUERY_STRING parsed and nothing else would ever get looked at. I fixed that by shoving an initialize_globals call in Rubric's run method. Things seemed alright until I tried to log in to post. No matter what, HTTP POST requests were coming through with no content. I stared at it until I gave up, and then I couldn't post anything new because I couldn't log in.

That was that, until tonight. I checked on my Hiveminder todo list and saw 78 things to do. (Good grief!) The second one is a reminder to get new App::Cmd stuff done by a week ago, and I thought, "Gosh. I should get that done, and then post an explanation of why the changes are so good."

Then I thought, "I can't post anything new, my Rubric won't let me log in!"

Then I thought, "I need to fix Rubric under FastCGI before I start on any of the other 78 things in my todo list." I guess this is a story about being lazy and busy, too.

I resorted to looking through the source of Rubric, CGI::Application, FCGI, FCGI::Engine, and other things. I finally noticed that FCGI::Engine passed a CGI::Simple query into the code it called -- a fact that was not documented. Once I added the dozen-or-so characters needed to tell Rubric to use that query instead of a newly-built one, everything just worked. Awesome! Once again, it goes to show that reading the source is always a good strategy.

I've filed a ticket suggesting that the docs should mention the parameter.

Now I need to get to work posting old news!

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.