Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

rjbs (4671)

rjbs
  (email not shown publicly)
http://rjbs.manxome.org/
AOL IM: RicardoJBSignes (Add Buddy, Send Message)
Yahoo! ID: RicardoSignes (Add User, Send Message)

I'm a Perl coder living in Bethlehem, PA and working Philadelphia. I'm a philosopher and theologan by training, but I was shocked to learn upon my graduation that these skills don't have many associated careers. Now I write code.

Journal of rjbs (4671)

Monday February 16, 2004
08:28 AM

Bryarizing me and meifying Bryar

[ #17434 ]

I never liked the web journals I saw people writing, back when they were just emerging as a popular phenomenon. They looked too goofy and random. Then mdxi started his, and it looked quite nice and simple, although there was a disturbing amount of orange in it, if I recall correctly. I took his script, "serv.pl" and hacked it up to meet my expectations, and "debug.pl" was born.

I kept meaning to rewrite it to do even more of what I wanted; I especially wanted to make it not only a journal, but also an "anecdote server." I wanted a way to write down little stories and file them based on content or date of occurance. For a while, I thought I'd just wait for the next generation of the software begun in serv.pl, and then I thought I'd just wait for a smaller subset of that. Finally, I rewrote my script in a nicer OO and modularized style, but I didn't get around to implementing the bits that would actually make the /end result/ better than it had been.

And then I slacked off.

So, about a month ago I started playing with Bryar, and I made Bryar act mostly like debug.pl, and it was easy, so I've decided to move to Bryar and just subclass the things I need changed. (Or, as I'd say, "fixed.") I decided the best way to do this was to switch first, so I've done that, and now I'll have to actually work on the problem.

So far, so good. I've reformatted most of the documents and done a little subclassing of the datasource. I need to put together a todo and start working my way through it. Maybe I'll make the todo list a Bryar page, too...

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.