Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

richardc (1662)

richardc
  (email not shown publicly)
http://unixbeard.net/~richardc/

Journal of richardc (1662)

Saturday June 14, 2003
10:10 AM

evolving - Wednesday 30th April, 2003

[ #12820 ]

Found the looping bug in Mail::Thread, turned out to be a one-linefix.

Fed all of london.pm-2001 and void-2001 to mariachi, and found that the subject threading support I'd added is potentially suspicious - adding subject threading to the void mbox loses 35 of the 22296 messages from the thread tree (well actually it's less than 22296, since we discarded a few as duplicates). Again this only shows up in the big-ass datasets. Gah.

Found the Mail::Thread bug. It turned out to be quite simple - when messages are threaded out-of-order entire sibling branches were getting lost. Of course this is only happening for my big datastores because they're partly out-of-order. Fix turned out to be a fairly simple link walk.

Apart from it didn't. I think the diagnosis remains correct, since shuffling the initial dataset has an impact as to how many messages get rendered unreachable. Still need to identify the exact cause though.

I do know both subject threading and tree pruning are innocent, which is good, because I did a lot of hacking on those in ripping them off from Grendel, and I wasn't keen on poking through it again.

In the meantime I overhauled the Mail::Thread tests, and made a few teeny changes which uncovered a couple of bugs in the tree iterator and the ordering code. Glad to see those little niggles gone, though a bit puzzled as to why I didn't notice them before. Wood for the trees I guess.