Then a sudden shudder down my spine: "ooooh...GD::Text...
Alas, No. Untouched since 2003.
"But this is too simple, shouldn't take me more than an afternoon to find and workaround the bugs."
Yes, I'm a cockeyed optimist.
And then I begin testing. And the painful memories of GD::Text become tangible welts across my back once again. Strange and silent errors. getBounds() behavior and interface only vaguely resembles the POD. Printing a zero character by itself on a line results in nothing printed...unless I add another character. And when, 36 hours later, I finally manage to get the character set rendered, it looks like shit...and strings reassembled from sliced out characters look even worse.
(My neighbors are now quite certain they've moved next to a drunken, angry Russion sailor. Fortunately, they have no children, so no one learned any new vocabulary words)
So I'm done with GD::Text (and probably GD, too). They were an adequate solution in the long ago, far away time, and they are still a nice lightweight solution for "Simple should be easy" projects. But the accumulation of frustrations with the pair of them has done me in.
So I jump to Imager. I'd looked at it some years ago when it was still fairly nascent, and it looked promising, but the docs were confusing, and I didn't have time to spend on it. But the latest versions look pretty robust, and the docs seem better, so I PPM's me a copy and begin code conversion in earnest.
OK, first, I need to make a transparent fill color. So how do I do that ? Looks in Imager docs. Nothing. Looks in Imager::Color docs. Nothing. Imager::Draw ? Nope. WTF ???
Fortunately, as I've been on this merry-go-round a few times now, I figure it must be the alpha channel. Then I find a code sample buried deep in the Imager source tree. OK, 3 hours to find a very basic thing that should be one of the 1st 3 items described in Imager::Color. But I'm a n00b, so I take it like a man and move on.
Well, thinks I, since I'm screwing with alpha channels anyway, why not add opacity to the text colors. So I does. 'Cept the docs never state what kind of value the alpha channel actually uses. After trying a few fractional values, I discover it ain't like CSS. <sigh/>. So i start throwing numbers at it and seeing what comes out. Big numbers, huge numbers, little numbers. By trial and error I discover its a value betweem 0 and 255. Thanks for the helpful docs, Imager. And another 3 hours pissed away.
So now I'm ready to start trying fonts. And Imager has a very nice font metrics function. "Ah, at last I'm on the downhill side!", thinks I, and beginning typing furiously. "Now, which of these 9 values do I use to figure out how big a box I need to render my string ? Er...". Another painful trial and error session until I finally get satisfactory results.
So, reverting to first principles, I grab example code direct from the MDC canvas tutorial site and give it a go. "Uncaught exception:....NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE..." WTF???
Fiddle some more. Still getting the error. Time for drastic measures. Clicks the Opera icon and loads the MDC tutorial page. Runs like a charm.
Ok, now this is bullshit. "Google, please assure me I'm not insane!", I think, as I feverishly type in "canvas firefox NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE". First hit: 184.108.40.206 Gaffe Prompts Quickfix. Follow the links to Bugzilla. Seems our friends at Firefox are doing a less than thorough job of testing standard API functions.
And from the comments in the Bugzilla entry, there are *many* others in far worse shape than I. Hopefully, this episode will light a fire under the Firefox.
Its now Friday evening. I've poured a a tall spiced ale, and will top it off with a tall Jack and soda soon. This little exersize - that should never have taken more than a day, maybe 2 tops - is now stretching into day 6. I'm frustrated, tired, pissed off, and seriously wondering if its time to throw away OSS and embrace the C#.
Because Simple things should be easy, dammit.