This last month has been a busy period and I managed somehow to work on 3 Gtk2 based CPAN bundles: Champlain, Gtk2::Ex::Entry::Pango and a new module Gtk2::Unique.
In the past weeks someone was looking for the Perl bindings to libunique (a library for writing single instance applications). The bindings didn't exist so I decided to write them as they can be quite useful and might end-up being used one day in Xacobeo.
This project took a little longer than I expected even though the C API is quite small (3 header files). I got delayed considerably because I'm still learning how to write proper GObject bindings. The important thing is that the module has been released and is now in CPAN Gtk2::Unique
In the meanwhile I also managed to release a new version of Gtk2::Ex::Entry::Pango which is backward compatible with all versions of Gtk2 that support Pango and most important behaves correctly when the text entry gains focus. Now when default Pango markup is used to display text when the widget is empty it will clear the default text when the focus is gained and restore it when focus is lost (if there's no text). This is similar to what Firefox's search bar is doing and apparently Windows Vista (I don't have it so I can't tell).
Lastly but not the least, libchamplain had a major release (0.3). The number of improvements and additions is too long to be enumerated in this post. One thing is assured the library is getting better and better. This new version has a lot of API changes, this is for the best so bare with us. The bad thing is that the API changes where so numerous that the bindings are lagging behind. Don't worry it's just a question of time and the bindings will be ready soon.