Yesterday I've released a new version of Champlain. This release addresses two issues: better support for Gt2 and unit tests.
In the previous release I wasn't able to provide proper support for Gtk2. I'm quite new at packaging a Perl module for a glib (or gnome) library and I made a big mistake. Ebassi came to my help and managed to fix my mess. Now the Gtk2 wrapper works as expected and without hacks.
This time the package has unit tests and covers most of the public API (some parts that will be disappearing soon where omitted). It took me longer than what I would expect for writing the tests because of many small bugs. Thus, the majority of the time was spent writing test cases isolating the bugs, fixing libchamplain and logging bug reports. At the end this pays as libchamplain is becoming more robust and other bindings will also benefit of the bug fixes.
Not only did this project gave me the opportunity of learning on how to create a package from scratch for an glib library it also introduced me to git. I've still haven't managed to master this new tool. I truly see advantage of having a distributed version control system, but the learning curve is quite high. Furthermore, the error messages are not too helpful. Although, I got told that in the past they where worst!