So, I am writing this book, "The Perl Database Bible". If you've ever considered doing this, give it some serious thought. Why?
1) Deadlines suck. They actually *expect* you to be on time with everything!
2) Editors suck. Mine recently said now that he's not tied up with a different book, he'll concentrate on mine.. Oh, BTW, he didn't like the writing style - 3/4 of the way through the book I get this! My response, tough shit, let's tweak it a bit, but that is all.
3) It takes WAY more time than you could imagine. I promised myself after my last book that I'd wait until I had most/all of my "next" book written before I'd even contact a publisher.. Well, the contacted me and like a dolt, I said sure....
4) You will NOT make a lot of money from writing a book! Unless you a Steven King or something, don't plan on writing to get rich!
5) English teachers don't know shit! I failed English once back in Jr. or Sr. High. I would love to figure out which teacher had failed me and send them copies of my books....
That is all.