Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

Thursday January 26, 2006
02:45 PM

MakeMaker fun

[ #28478 ]

Here at Yahoo! we have a very cool install system, yinst; handwaving all the details, it makes it really easy to manage a zillion servers and development machines.

To use it properly, you need to build packages according to its scheme, which doesn't match a standard CPAN distribution. I found myself repeatedly building the config files for the build, doing the build, transferring to our repository, and yesterday the idea hit me that I shouldn't be doing this; the build process should.

A quick look over the ExtUtils::MakeMaker docs showed me that it was actually trivial to add a section to the Makefile.PL to put my special build targets into the Makefile.

sub MY::postamble {
  return <<'MAKE_FRAG';
yman: *.3
        cd build && pod2man ../<MAIN PM FILE> > "../man/man3/<MAIN MODULE>.3"
 
yinst: *.yicf
        cd build && yinst_create -t release *.yicf
 
ydist: yman yinst *.tgz
        cd build && dist_install *.tgz
 
MAKE_FRAG
}

So now the Makefile has my targets in it. "Wait, wait," I hear you say. "What's all that stuff in the angle brackets?" That stuff is part 2 of my plan. In addition to the MakeMaker change, I put together a Module::Starter::Yahoo module that builds a base distribution modelled on the Module::Starter::PBP one, but with the added build directory and some extra mojo to build the Yahoo! build files.

So now I can do this to start up a new module:

module-starter --module=My::New::Module
And when my module's ready to distribute, I do this:
<ecode>
make
make test
make ydist

and poof, my module is built, tested, and distributed in proper format. And of course, if it's CPAN-able, I can just do a make dist instead and then upload to CPAN.

Since I based it on Module::Starter::PBP, I could also use the Perl -MModule::Starter::Yahoo=setup business to get this installed as my base Module::Starter config.

I did find that Module::Starter::PBP wasn't well set up to be subclassed, which meant I had to cut and paste the create_distro method into my code and modify it (it uses hard-coded path components in its File::Spec calls), but not a big deal.

Also, the templating philosohy used in this module is slanted toward "one module, one file" because it's used to build .pm and .t files. I needed to have all of the modules in the .yicf file, so a little fiddling about was necessary there as well. All in all, though, I'm quite happy with the time spent to save time later.

I still have to edit the prereqs into the .yicf file; possibly I should expand the make yinst target to parse Makefile.PL and pull the prereqs out automatically.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.