NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.
All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report
Sunday May 07, 2006
Which J2ME phone
I've noticed a few people on freenode #j2me ask "Which phone should I use to start Java development on?". The question slightly surprised me - I became interested in J2ME the first time I got a sufficiently interesting phone (SE P800 with touch sensitive screen) rather than the other way round. I've been wondering about the criteria, and thought of the following.
- reasonable JVM (stability / speed)
- does it support MIDP 2.0 ?
- what are the tools provided
- PC suite to browse and exchange files between PC and phone
- and do they work on your platform (Nokia's PC suite doesn't on Linux for example)
- bluetooth to connect and upload your midlets to the phone
(because that seems to work, more or less)
- type of phone (smartphone / PIM-like phone / UIQ device etc?)
<obperl>I see that Jarkko's Perl for Symbian project is still on hold with just the core language and no support for the phone GUI and feature APIs...</obperl>
Stories, comments, journals, and other submissions on use Perl; are Copyright 1998-2006, their respective owners.