Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

Journal of nicholas (3034)

Tuesday September 02, 2008
04:11 AM

cutting your hair supports musicians

[ #37327 ]

I almost forgot...

Last week, when I got my hair cut, a curious new sign was prominently on display on the counter of the barbers. It was a certificate from the Performing Rights Society, phrased as a thank-you, to the named branch, for supporting musicians. I wasn't aware that shops needed a licence to play a public radio station in public in the UK, but clearly the PRS now thinks that they are.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • I believe it's the same in Germany.

    I think you even have to pay if you use a radio station stream as your telephone on-hold music.


    Esli epei eto cumprenan, shris soa Sfaha.
    Aettot ibrec epesecoth, spakhea scrifeteis.

  • The details are in Complete Tariff RS (PDF) []. It has all sorts of little clauses inside. Worth a laugh to see how doomed the music industry thinks it is.
  • The Public Entertainment Licence has been around for many years (probably even before I was born). They are usually handled by the local council and apply to any building or structure (including tents and marquees) where music is to be played or performed, regardless of whether it is live, pre-recorded or being broadcast via a radio, in what would be considered a public area. Thus private homes are excluded, but your local barber is required to have one if they wish to have any music in the shop.

    When I was