Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

meanroy (7235)

  (email not shown publicly)

Just trying to have fun.

Journal of meanroy (7235)

Saturday September 09, 2006
12:25 AM

YASM - yet another strange mystery! or "Gee I'm stupid"

After the comment by SuperCruncher, I re-ran the example code from PPM::Repositories which I called
I noted that I got a nice list of repositories.
But when I did a ppm rep, I got:

[1] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
[2] ActiveState Package Repository
[ ] bribes
[ ] crazy58
[ ] datetime
[ ] esoft
[ ] gtk
[ ] jenda
[ ] openi
[ ] roth
[ ] sablot
[ ] savage
[ ] soulcage58
[ ] theory58
[ ] theory58S

Humph! Ok, they're listed but not active.
I tried to add 'bribes' but failed.
I then used the command line at bribes to add GD.
"ppm install"
Worked like a champ! I immediately went off to try to figure out whats going on, but I'm going to have to come back to this later. Re-reading the docs on ppm, checking my version, blah, blah, blah.

Thursday September 07, 2006
01:19 PM

More on Perl on Windoz

Thanks to the helpful folks who clarified the status of CamelPack in my previous entry. I *may/probably* will put installing on my system on the back burner. I went ahead and installed Dev-C++ but haven't messed with it yet.
Interestingly enough, it looks like upgrading to 5.8 compounded my problem, perlwin32faq9 says

Win32 Is there a GD module available for Perl
GD now works with Win32, and can be installed using PPM

But the ActiveState build status page says

GD 2.35 FAIL

It seems to be borne out by this post by Xavi on

Finally I've achived to install GD uninstalling activestate 5.8 and installing 5.6 without any problem.

. I found directions and clarifications from Dave Roth here That *may* be out of date though because the latest binary I found of GD.pll (dll) is Win32GD_v960611
This is pretty much a sidetrack from what I'm *actually* working on but since it's a continual problem, I'm going to work on locally compiling modules as time allows.
Since I went ahead and downloaded what CamelPack couldn't find, I probably have most of what it was supposed to do. The exception being, I think, adding the requisite paths. I can probably take care of that. I'll start out with something thats supposed to be simple. ( I googled around a bit but didn't find a single example in my short search BTW )
Any pointers to something (relatively) simple to start with will be appreciated.

Vanilla Perl sounds enticing but I get the distinct feeling everything I'm doing would come to a screeching halt while I tried to get back to what I have installed from ActiveState. Sucky as that is.

I guess the bottom line is: Stennie isn't going to give back the beer, huh? ;-)

Monday September 04, 2006
07:21 AM

A verticle meter of beer.

I've been using/learning Perl for a while now.

Downloading desired modules has been a continuing problem from day one! I've managed to get most of what I need if it's a native Perl module, but never succeded in getting a make to work.
Most lately, I needed a module,, it requires some other stuff, which must be compiled. (This is because of ActiveStates poor support of ppm module conversion.)
As noted on a reward (a vertical meter of beer)was offered for a windoz installation of Perl which filled several requirement. Among them being:

4. The installer MUST also install a (legal) compiler (preferably gcc), preconfigured to work normally when installing XS modules from CPAN.

The award was duly issued to stennie, and worked at the time. Wow! Cool!
But Wait!
Oh shit, when I downloaded and tried it, guess what. Thats right, it's broken. Now this is not an insurmountable obstacle, the directions are there and so are the links to the tools. So in theory, you can reverse engineer and duplicate, eventually getting it to work.
I'm now in the process of trying to do so, but what a PITA! It turned out the 'main' problem was the download site for the GCC tool chain was hard coded in the installer file. So I submit the "solution" isn't really, it's just a road-map so you can roll your own. (even though it's on sourceforge, no-ones maintaining it.)
Again, what a PITA!
Been working at this for WAY too long and God knows how much longer it'll take!