Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

mdxi (4658)

  (email not shown publicly)

Journal of mdxi (4658)

Thursday May 27, 2004
02:27 PM

Moving: Days 4,5

[ #18971 ]

I am become 1950s Housewife, Cleanser of Worlds.

After getting a late start yesterday we made it back to Old House and got the AC operative. Then we got the water turned on, but two of three toilets now run constantly (should be fixed by a third party this evening). With the AC drying out the air and water available, the orgy of cleansing began.

I started in my bedroom while K went around sponging off doors, walls, and furniture. I swept, mopped, mopped again, then swept, and picked up more dirt every time. The only word to describe the place is FILTHY.

After finishing my room (including the windows and ceiling fan) I moved into the kitchen where K was working on the dining table. I decided to tackle the refrigerator.

I don't know how a fridge can get so filthy while sitting almost completely empty and unused for 2 years, but it did. It was appallingly nasty. I took every shelf and bucket out of it, threw them in the tub and filled it with soapy water. Then me, some Pine-Sol, a scrubby sponge, and a PUTTY KNIFE went to work on the rest of the fridge. The putty knife was needed because a bottle of Coke appears to have sprung some kind of slow leak at some point in time and the bottom of the fridge (under the crisper drawers) was coated in a shellac of soda, food particles, and dirt.

Once the fridge was reassembled (and spotless) it was about 0400h, and we decided it was time for bed. Of course our beds aren't there yet. K went upstairs where there's a spare dorm bed, and I went to the couch...where I soon discovered that I couldn't breathe properly anymore. I guess there was so much dust and stuff on the sofa that I started having what felt like a mild asthmatic episode (I don't actually *have* asthma, so I'm not sure about this...I got pretty wheezy though), so I went upstairs and camped out on some spare blankets on the floor.

Until the cats (whom we have missed very much, and were overjoyed to have around again) decided that they missed us so much they needed to come apply loving to our faces and arms and legs and bathe constantly for 2 hours on top of us and knead various parts of our bodies just for emphasis. But eventually I really did fall asleep.

Until the telemarketer called. At 0930h. On a phone line that was hooked up a whopping 3 days ago. In a house no one even lives in yet. Hang on a sec...okay, it's in FedGov's do not call registry now. Motherfuckers.

So then I hauled off 3 loads of crap, mopped the usable downstairs bathroom twice, cleaned its sinks and toilet, swept down a ton of spiderwebs, bought a new mop, picked up some breakfast, and decided I really felt like shit. K did too. So we came home, and now I'm gonna do nothing at all for a while.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.