Finally managed to wring some (however small) amount of work from myself tonight, and on no less than TWO projects!
First I spent about an hour installing TeX and other pre-requisites for LyX, which now runs quite nicely on OS X (though huge points off for using the gnarly Qt/Winders file picker instead of the native one), then I forced myself to actually open HTBR up and do something to it. I wrote one new sentence and frobbed one old paragraph, but it's a start. I'm even considering making dead-tree copies available via cafepress publishing when it's ready.
On a HTBR-related note, Tuesday I happened to make the acquaintance of this lovely lass (NSFW and won't be there forever), and I be damned if she hadn't read HTBR in a previous edition! I was completely floored...I know from logs that around 7,000 people have downloaded it, but I've never met any of them (barring the ones I knew before writing it). Awesome feeling, that.
Anyway, after tonight's massive effort in that direction I turned back to mfutils. Fixed a niggling mfn output bug and then started to seriously overhaul mffix and beat it into its new image. Cheers to Term:ReadKey (SFW), which has made one bit of the new functionality drop-dead easy.