Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

Journal of luqui (5770)

Thursday November 10, 2005
03:21 PM

Today's Perl 6 Meeting Notes

[ #27534 ]

Patrick:
        - lots more stuff with PGE
        - sent out a message on Friday
        - now support for commit operator, Unicode characters (as far as Parrot
            can), hex, octal, newline, conjunctions, subrules with arguments,
            documented public interface
        - it helps that particle has created so many tests
        - so have the Tcl guys
        - beyond that, just catching up with Chip's draft design documents
        - going to do parser things next

Allison:
        - working on the tree grammar stuff
        - have it checked into my local mirror
        - haven't merged it back into mainline yet
        - Parrot has some extraneous requirements on new files
        - converting some of my little test scripts to test files
        - I couldn't run tests until I added libraries into Parrot repository
        - Patrick, what's your advice on where to put the test files?
        - PGE keeps the test files in the Parrot hierarchy
        - for the language, I want the tests in the languages/ directory

Patrick:
        - PGE's tests went in the Parrot thing because of Dan's advice
        - PGE is a part of Parrot
        - I separated them out as p6rules tests
        - there are several different syntaxes to do pattern matching
        - Perl 5 rules, for example
        - in this case, if we consider TGE as a part of Parrot, then it goes in
            the Parrot repository
        - or sensibly a subdirectory in compilers/ subdirectory

Allison:
        - I'll do that for now
        - it's not a big deal to move them later

Larry:
        - some overhead with work and family
        - otherwise hanging out on p6l and p6c
        - thinking about design issues for roles and things
        - thinking about some of Patrick's regexp issues too
        - actually writing a few Perl 6 programs to see if it feels right
        - running into interesting Pugs bugs there
        - also playing with attribute grammar stuff and thinking about tree
            transformation syntax

Jesse:
        - did Autrijus send out the doc that he and Liz have started to put
            together about concurrency?

Larry:
        - I didn't see it

Jesse:
        - I encouraged them to show it to people who've done stuff in Perl 5
        - then make it public
        - how's the response to licensing stuff been, Allison?

Allison:
        - just a handful of responses
        - most questions were from the Perl 5 cabal about the amount of time
            required to turn in their agreements
        - they wanted more than a week
        - it'll be more like six months

Jesse:
        - it should last through at least a conference season for in person
            haranguing

Patrick:
        - I thought it looked clear and well-defined
        - I wish other open source licenses were as clear as this one

Jesse:
        - the only one that blew me away was Microsoft's clear and simple group of
            licenses

Larry:
        - I've been trying to recompile Pugs
        - I get a weird message from GHC about unrecognized "-i" flags
        - GHC 6.4.1
        - one of these years I'll have to start submitting some tests myself

Jesse:
        - have you been submitting bug reports?

Larry:
        - I mentioned one on the list
        - I don't know what my commit procedure would be
        - I haven't taken anyone up on a commit bit

Jesse:
        - I can make sure that you get relevant documentation
        - that'll make the Pugs crowd very happy

Patrick:
        - I'm still eager for S05 to show up

Jesse:
        - Damian had taken that for comments?

Patrick:
          - yes
        - I'm getting enough questions from people that it'd be nice to have a
            document point to

Jesse:
        - is there any reason not to put a big warning on top of the last draft
            and check it in?

Patrick:
        - I have no problem with that
        - the only thing that may change is the whitespace flags
        - we can put a notice around that
        - other than that, it looked good

Larry:
        - anything new is good

Patrick:
        - Damian has the latest draft

Larry:
        - what's the status of the S29 draft?

Patrick:
        - there's one in the Pugs repository
        - I could review it and pass it around

Larry:
        - at some point we should do it

Patrick:
        - I'll ask the Pugs folks about it
        - we can look at it

Jesse:
        - they have a couple of Synopses there waiting for approval
        - Autrijus, Jarkko, and Jos have started an updated CPAN synopsis

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.