Finally managed to get Samba working the other day, I installed SWAT, and after a bit of tinkering, managed to get it up and running. All in all its starting to come together.
In the end I decided to use perl for the buidding and configeration for the system, Ant looks cool, but is a bit too java focussed for my liking, plus the platform independence is pretty irrelevant for my purposes - I'm not going to decide to port over to windows in a jiffy. At the moment the build system is just a standalone perl script which checks out the relevant module and builds Apache, mod_perl, perl and postgres and installs them into my user area. Next up is configuring apache 2.x to do reverse proxying, which hopefully won't be too taxing, followed by installing qmail, and DNS.