triv and I made a big switch from one database machine to another for dyn tonight. It was a bit more of an adventure than it should have been because I couldn't get mysql to compile. After leaving it for dinner I came back and compiled with debugging symbols to discover problems with the thread library. Well, that was helpful. Several head-bangings-on-wall later, I realized I'd been playing with linuxpthreads on this FreeBSD box when I got interrupted by life 6 months ago, and that the configure/compile was getting horribly confused. Un-installed linuxthreads, re-configured and compiled, viola, working MySQL!
With that hurdle out of the way, everything went very smoothly, about 10 minutes total downtime, with DNS remaining up of course, because our DNS simply doesn't go down