and maintainer of:
We got a difficult database extraction task today. Extracting a lot of log data from a table and combining it with a colletion of translations of some of the data in the log, a kind of multilanguage setup used by the VB.NET frontend.
Well here my SQL abilities come a bit short and in with combination of time constraints and work pressure - I made a Perl solution.
First I extracted the necessary data from the multilanguage table and then I ran the translation proces on the extracted log data and finally I pushed everything into a CSV file.
WOA! lucky for me I know Perl, I could simply fill in the gaps with Perl and everything works great.
I am sure I would be able to make the solution in SQL (eventually), but I am glad I chose the Perl solution, since it also had a very positive effect on my morale