Short story: i fixed DBD::SQLite's annoying warning, diff at
Long story: today a friend proposed a patch to silence those warnings in
another module and i was finally annoyed enough to investigate.
First i've read the various reports about this, their analysis and
workarounds, then i glanced at the sqlite documentation and found
I tried adding a fix in a quick and dirty style until i noticed sqlite
required an update first, as the used function was only available since
sqlite version 3.6.0.
After updating sqlite the fix still didn't work and i saw ``assignment
makes pointer from integer without a cast'' when compiling.
It took a few minutes until i realized that DBD::SQLite picks up the
header files of the bundled sqlite instead of the system-wide installed
one and thus the compiler had no idea about the new function i was using.
The first step to a solution was to zap the local sqlite headers and
then i had it working.
But that was still not very nice as it only helps me but i wanted to get
a result i could push upstream.
So the next logical thing was updating the bundled sqlite before i had a
sufficient patch to send to the DBD::SQLite authors.
A happy end to the story of this bug should be possible with the creation
of a proper ticket on RT.
Now we ``only'' have to wait for a new release of DBD::SQLite.
At least i did more than just moaning :-)