Back in October when I started my project, I had a problem with data serialization where I finally made a temporary fix by... ugh... join()'ing arrays that I wanted to pass by four percent signs. After testing this and adding in the notes that you can only pass scalars and arrays across the network, I promptly forgot that I had added this obviously really REALLY bad hack. I remember trying a few different methods including Data::Dumper and YAML but for some reason none of them worked... reasons which have faded from memory. This week, I rewrote a few pieces of the code to use YAML which, of course, was exactly what I needed. Now I am passing hashrefs around at will and it all works right.
I really wish I could remember what it was that I had a problem with. Actually I wish I could remember why fixing the problem like this seemed like a good idea. The problems probably had something to do with the fact that I was testing on different architectures with different versions of perl. Oh well... its' fixed now.
In my quest to graduate from "Programmer" to "Good Programmer" I have always been my harshest critic. For example, I just applied for a PAUSE id but it will be a while before I submit anything simply because I am pretty hard on myself about my code. Almost nothing is ever *done* but rather exists in varying stages of "sucks" and "sucks less". Actually, now that I think of it, I might have submitted some of the offending code to a potential employer last month. I know one of the modules that I submitted to him had an error in new(). Ugh.
On the bright side, I get to go hang out with my parents tomorrow which is always fun.