I got a lot of positive feedback about my proposal for a machine-readable Changes format. Following on from all the suggestions, this is the revised spec. The big difference from the first version is the expansion of the identifying tokens from single letters to full words, at Juerd's suggestion. The "@" symbol is also becoming overloaded these days, so I've dropped it.
[Changes to this post following comments: removed removed and re-added change.]
Following are two examples of valid documents in different styles.
# This version was codenamed Muffin because we were listening to Frank Zappa at the time.
This project is now maintained by ZIRCON (of Zircon Software fame).
We have switched licenses. This software now uses the Greater Zork Software License.
Please ensure that you have read the new license before using this software.
New frobnitz() method - save 50 lines of manual frobnitzing by using this instead!
Fixed the error in quack() where it would actually moo instead of quack. [RT 1234]
The calling convention for rumpelstiltskin() has CHANGED. See perldoc.
Test coverage is now 100%! Please go nuts testing this release on your machines
and let us know what happens.
This one has a more compact look:
# You guys are going to love this one. -- billg
# Watch out for Kato, coming this October with native networking support! -- steveb
new: TrueType font system. No more need for Adobe Type Manager.
new: 32-bit disk access.
new: Awesome game called Minesweeper. Say goodbye to your productivity.
incompatible: We dropped Reversi. Minesweeper is better, trust us.
incompatible: Can't run in real mode.
Even more compact, without the nice alignment:
new: beefsteak() gives you beefy goodness
fix: tracked down a memory leak in mtfnpy()
tests: added pod coverage
change: refactored ugly get/set methods into AUTOLOAD