In this version registrants can already login to the system, submit proposals, edit their own information and their own proposals.
The adminsitrators can see most of the information about every registrant and about every proposal.
I am quite happy that we made it in time but on the other hand I think I am working too hard on this.
It is strange.
In spring, this year when I was working on the registration form for YAPC::Israel::2003 I used Apache::ASP and I think I spent a lot less time writing it.
Sure 0.09 of Yapcom already knows more than the earlier web interface but I still have the feeling that the number of hours I invested in yapcom is not proportional to the hours it took for the Apache::ASP version.
Sure, in Apache::ASP I get the session management free but I am not sure if this is the explanation. Back then I used an xml file as the 'database' but actually it was not a good idea as it did not scale at all. At around 60-70 registered people it already started to eat too much memory as it had to read the enire file into memory and lock the file for each change.
Now I am using Class::DBI, DBD::SQLite, CGI::Application, HTML::Template and it seem it is a lot slower to write this code. It is also true that this time I wrote a test suit that already has over 200 tests in it and I feel much safer when I change something.
I think I can also say that this code is much more extendable and while it is not very clean (yet) I do ocassionally refactor it. Sometimes with the help of a number of people.
Last and probably most important: I'd like to thank to Yehuda Berlinger, Shlomi Fish and Richard Clamp for their help with this version.