Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

djberg96 (2603)

  (email not shown publicly)

Journal of djberg96 (2603)

Sunday July 07, 2002
03:46 PM

Weekend fun & bruises

[ #6210 ]
I've spent the last 4 days out in Lakewood, WI at my grandparent's old lake house. It was a nice, relaxing time for the most part. Some yard work, but mostly relaxing, a bit of shopping, and some fireworks.

And then there was the rafting incident...

On Friday, my sister decided she wanted to go white-water rafting. I decided it would be fun, so I agreed to go. We got there and found that there were about 100 (literally) people already prepared to go. They told us we had 5 minutes to get ready so we paid for our rafts (or "fun-yaks", as they were called), quick got dressed and hopped on the bus.

After a quick lesson in how to paddle through rocks on level-3 rapids, we carried our fun-yaks down to the river and hopped in. At first, it was fun. The first problem we encountered was the fact that the river was a little low. This meant we regularly had to hop over rocks that we got stuck on. But this was a minor nuisance.

My sister finished 5th out of about 100. She never fell out. I fell out 3 times:

1) At the first rapids, I got spun around and went down backwards. Bad idea. I flipped and went down the river a bit on my back. But, I was ok and got back in the raft.

2) A horsefly was hounding me, so I decided to try and chase him down. I eventually got him, right before I smacked into a rock, spun around and flipped because I wasn't watching where I was going. Doh! Again, I was ok and got back in, no problem.

3) At the largest falls, I ran into the guy in front of me, who had gotten stuck and spun around halfway down the falls (believe it). I ran into him (I couldn't see him since he was lower than my los), we both spun backwards, flipped and went down the falls. I smacked my left shin and knee into the rocks, and got hit in the middle of my back rather hard twice. To top it all off, I lost my glasses, even though I had the safety straps on. I think they might have snapped.

So, I came home rather battered and bruised (and sunburned), put an ice-pack on my knee for about an hour and was thankful that my vision is still good enough that I could drive home today. Still, that turned out to be one damned expensive trip.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.