This time around I got off my lazy duff and went to the SourceForge page to report the problems I was having. The first one was due to an old version of Qt. In fact, Tora 1.3.12 isn't even supposed to build with Qt 3.0.5 (the version I was using) and Henrik has since added code to die in the future with a version less than 3.1 (I think).
So, I upgraded to Qt 3.2.2 and everything built fine. However, the user list in the schema browser, which used to be a pull down menu, is now some sort of horizontal menu. This is truly awful when you literally have hundreds of user profiles to choose from.
Thankfully, SourceForge allows you to upload images. Sometimes it's too difficult to explain in words what you mean when you're talking about UI issues. I've put in an RFE.
Update: I guess it was a theme issue. Switching themes fixed it.