Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

djberg96 (2603)

djberg96
  (email not shown publicly)

Journal of djberg96 (2603)

Wednesday May 07, 2003
02:41 PM

Makefile.PL woes - HELP!

[ #12063 ]
Well, I've gotten my first bug report regarding Net::SCP::Expect. It has nothing to do with the code for the module, but everything to do with a broken Makefile.PL program. If you do:

perl Makefile.PL
make

You'll notice a curious lack of output from the make phase. However, a make test will succeed, assuming you haven't already installed an earlier version of the module. Running 'make install' will not fail, but will not actually install the module. In addition, if you try to download via CPAN.pm, you'll still get .07 and not .08, so I've totally effed up somewhere.

Part of this is probably my own fault, as I changed the internal directory structure somewhat, but I didn't think that would be a problem. Maybe I should read the directions to ExtUtils::MakeMaker more closely.

HELP!!!

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • and then do the following in the build dir. 'make manifest' and then 'make disttest' which should test your distribution for install. You should also use 'make dist' for upload to cpan. You might find some of the information in http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/H/HF/HFB/grok-cpan.pdf helpful.
  • The Cookbook was the first piece of information I got my hands on that explained how to 'do it' clearly enough that I was able to put together Time::Elapse [webdragon.net] in a CPAN-ready distribution.

    I don't know if it has everything you need to resolve the problem in its descriptions, but it helped me get started with far less pain than I thought there would be. :-)

  • Also try release, from brian d foy, which I use for all my stuff. Automates everything, and flexible (Ken Williams added Module::Release to it, so you can write your own release scripts easily).
    • Ok, didn't know about that one. In the end I think the problems were:
      • Forgot a MANIFEST
      • Tried to nest the module into a different direcotry instead of keeping it in the toplevel directory
      • Never bothered to do 'make install' to make sure that it worked.
      I'll keep your suggestions in mind for next time - thanks!