I mentioned that I'd finished my slides for the Idiomatic Perl tutorial. Over the weekend I remembered that O'Reilly would probably like to have copies of them to print for attendees. Yesterday I emailed them to find out what I was supposed to be doing. It seems that I was supposed to get my slides to them by June 10th, but somehow I didn't get the messages. Oops.
So I had to have them ready last night. What I already had was an XML file and a combination of Perl and XSLT that converted it to HTML pages. To make it as easy as possible to print the slides I decided that I wanted to convert the HTML pages to one PDF file.
I found html2ps which seemed to do a good job of creating one postscript file from the HTML. And I already had ps2pdf installed. Then I realised that it would be even more helpful if I could get two landscape slides on one portrait page. I remembered that there was a postscript utility for doing this, but it took me a few minutes to remember that it was called psnup.
There then followed a rather frustrating half hour whilst I tried to work out why psnup wasn't changing my files at all. Eventually I found the answer in the psnup FAQ and got that stage working.
After that, ps2pdf worked first time and I ended up with a PDF file that I was very happy with.
Yes, of course I should have been using AxPoint. But it's been an enjoyable learning experience
Oh, and apparently there are already 59 people signed up to my tutorial. If you're going to be at OSCON and your Perl could use a little workout, then please come along.