NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.
All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report
Monday May 27, 2002
Attack of the Clowns
On Friday, a group of london.pm-ers went off to the Streatham Odeon to see Lucas' latest extravaganza. After the nightmare that was The Phantom Menace is wasn't going to bother, but it was in a local cinema - and cheap. Here are my impressions:
- Much better than Episode I
- Too many scenes that were obviously just there to form the basis for spin-off games. I noticed the speeder chase near the start, the asteroid belt and (mostly) the droid factory. That last one is an obvious platform game tie-in
- Completely superfluous Tattooine sequence. Only there to introduce to a younger version of Uncle Owen (hey, look, we're internally consistant!)
- Too much badly done romance. Did anyone else keep seeing them as Aragron and Arwen?
- Oh and whilst we're getting confused between AotC and FotR - Count Phooko is Saruman
- Terrible dialogue - "Good call, young padawan"
- Nice to see some backstory being filled in on Boba Fett. Bit heavy-handed the way he picked up Jenga's helmet tho'
- Less Jar-Jar is good. Even less would have been better
If you're a huge fan of the Star Wars franchise (I'm not), then I'm sure you'll love it. Doubt it'll make any new fans tho'.
Stories, comments, journals, and other submissions on use Perl; are Copyright 1998-2006, their respective owners.