So I spent a couple of hours this afternoon writing this plugin. It really wasn't hard. TT Plugins that wrap an object oriented module are really simple to create.
But the problems started when I uploaded the finished module to CPAN. I got an email back from PAUSE telling me that I did'nt have permissions to access that distribution. And PAUSE was right. There's already a Template::Plugin::HTML::Prototype written by Bernhard Bauer. And its code is almost identical to mine.
And now I find that search.cpan.org has indexed my version and is returning it in preference to Bernhard's in search results. I've scheduled the deletion of my version, but that will take a few days to be processed.
Don't do as I do, do as I say. Always check CPAN before writing any code. You'll probably save yourself a lot of time.