I knew that problems would occur when we had to sell the test box (well, in fact sell another box and reuse the test box for something else). We didn't have much choice (money...) but it was bound to create some suckage.
Well, today I had to upgrade the production server with a new version of AxKit and a gazillion other things so that the very last Knowscape contract that's still running (due to be finished this week) could run. And of course, some things broke! Thankfully, AxKit 1.5.1 (ie CVS) is far more stable than 1.5 and I could quickly locate the origin of the problems. Now running 1.5, YAY!
I still do wish that I did have a test box though. Once the company is done folding up I'm going to have very little time to spend working on the server and I'd rather it would run smoothly. I know that if I don't touch anything it'll just keep running -- that's the cool thing with stable and powerful software like Linux, Apache, Perl, mod_perl, AxKit and friends -- but if I get a small maintainance contract here and there to make ends meet more easily, I know I'll be scared to upgrade modules without testing.
Oh well, I guess one has to live dangerously once in a while