I'm driving down to YAPC in a caravan (not a van, a bunch of cars) with freeside, lenzo, dha, Schwern and possibly others. I had an idea to get a wireless network up and running between our cars. Since then, I've been buying equipment and getting together tests to see if it would work. I think it will work just fine. Here is what I have so far:
* 350 watt (180 watts from cig lighter) DC to AC power inverter.
* Kyocera QCP-3035 Cell Phone.
* Serial data kit for Kyocera QCP-3035 Cell Phone.
* Linksys wap11 Wireless Access Point.
* HyperLink High Gain Omni-directional antenna.
* Crossover Cable.
* Laptop running windows (for the phone) with connection sharing enabled.
Here's the plan. Test 1: Run a web server or irc daemon or something on the gateway laptop (probably my windows machine... damn phone) and have everyone connect to it. Test 2: Connect the phone to the internet and have folks try and use the connection for surfing or ssh or something.
Sure, test 2 will be slow. Don't tell me that a working wireless network connected to the internet moving at 70mph isn't really cool.