I need an svn client. I asked around and was assured that building via fink was best. I run fink from unstable and it was going to build version 0.24. Obviously old, but probably usable. After hours, fink's version of guile decided that gcc doesn't work. Don't ask me why, I took the working directory and built it just fine.
After that I decided to try what was in stable. libxml2 got confused with itself and blew up.
Finally, after a day of pain, trying to build subversion from fink, I ran configure on the svn source. It worked, and told me it would build client-only, just what I wanted. Now I have the client. How frustrating.